nginx is all around


English: Nginx Logo Español: Logo de Nginx

English: Nginx Logo Español: Logo de Nginx (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

As for my new job I need to emulate our production site environment I’ve deployed nginx-1.3.9 onto my Win7-laptop.

I’ve tried to run nginx -t in order to test the inintal config but got

nginx: the configuration file C:/nginx/conf/nginx.conf syntax is ok

nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

nginx: configuration file C:/nginx/conf/nginx.conf text failed

After googling a bit I’ve found the several solutions of which:

  • firewall (McAfee security center) check has shown no 80 port blocking;
  • running nginx as a Windows service was postponed for some time – as the page under URL isn’t accessible any more;
  • so I’ve simply followd that post and changed the port in nginx.conf.

After that it has worked fine.
In order to finalize nginx administration experience I’ve followed this post’s instructions and created two bat files for start and stop.

Now what I still have to

  • get to know how to run a Grails app on nginx and connect it to the PostgreSQL DBS.
Advertisements

What if Android Market updates doesn’t work for apps installed on SD card


Android Market

Image via Wikipedia

The problem: under Android OS applications installed to SD card using Android Market cannot be updated, showing error message.

The solution (found here, thanks to cdore…@gmail.com):

  1. Connect your device to PC.
  2. On your device select Mount or External drive option.
  3. Open your device as a drive in My Computer.
  4. Find folder “.android.secure” or “/mnt/secure/asec/”
  5. Delete file “smdl2tmp1.asec” (L before the 2nd letter and letter 1 after “tmp”).
  6. Try to re-download updates via Android Market.
Hope that helps!

Problems in setting up sync to Google services in Windows Mobile


Google support has a page on synchronizing it’s services with Windows Mobile device.

The page is quite informative, the only problem is that it still has not been translated into Russian, which leaves out of border lots of potential users. Thus, a dig to Russian Google support team for lack of description 😦

Few nuances leading to digs to MS sync developers exist:

  1. Only one server is permitted: the MSDN Blogs thread discussion states that there’s the only solution yet – use POP\IMAP for another server. The user “zhamid” answers it quite well:

    “Yes, it is technical.  The way we initially implemented the application, it is restricted to using only one exchange account.  This may change in the future, but right now this is what we are stuck with.”

    Awesome, huh?!

  2. Only one email synchronization via ActiveSync is possible: in order to enable Gmail sync you have to disable email sync with laptop\desktop (assuming you have Outlook synс it sounds awful).
  3. The connection will be named “MS Exchange” (even though it’s Google nor Microsoft) and there’s no change option.

The user “stewartbryson” sees no future fixes, hoping for Google solution:

I can’t wait until Google has fully implemented calendar, mail and contact list in the Google Domain apps product. That way, I can move away from Exchange for my company email and use this very precious SINGLE exchange connection on my mobile phone for my largest customer at a single point in time.

The bottom line: the problem exists throughout several product generations, is well-known but no action was made. Even more: OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) was discontinued in MS Exchange 2007.

Statistics generation: custom solution instead of Reporting Services


Today we’ve finished one project which took a plenty of time to be realised – a custom statistis module based on SQL data and realised as MOSS\WSS (SharePoint) webparts kit.

We have extremely tough queries and quite complicated data model, so we decided to get another solution:

  • The whole thing is divided into 5 parts each describing different business viewpoint of the data; all these viewpoints have been deployed as custom web-parts with initial constructor implemented with 1st webpart.
  • SQL code takes about 14 500 (!) lines in 6 different UDFs, which all were written by one person; another guy created webparts.

Finally, we’ve done it. Hurray!